Travelling abroad and prescriptions

If you are travelling and need extra medication prescribed we require a minimum of one month notice. Please understand that we get about 40 requests for prescriptions daily, many of them last minute, and all of them requiring us to take responsibility for safety. Most patients expect us to write these within a day!

Generally we will prescribe up to three months. If you need a letter of support we can provide this and a longer prescription – this is an uninsured service

There are some important considerations:

  1. If you do not plan this then the ministry may not allow you to take enough medication. For example if you have just been given a three months prescription and then you ask for a further six month prescription when you have more than 30 days supply left you may have problems. This is copied from the Ministry of Health website:

Ontario Drug Benefit Program: If you travel. For most people in the Ontario Drug Benefit Program (ODB), if you travel outside the province for between 100 and 200 days, and as long as your prescription allows it, the ministry may pay for a travel supply of medication of up to an additional 100 days.   Certain limits apply.If you have less than 30 days supply of medication on hand

The ministry will allow and pay for an early re-fill of your next 100-day supply. We will also pay for a second 100-day travel supply for a total of 200-day supply.

If you have more than 30 days supply of medication on hand

The ministry will allow and pay for only a 100-day supply.  The ministry will not pay for a second 100-day travel supply.

How do I apply for a travel supply?

Before you leave the province, you must give your pharmacist:

•              a letter that confirms you are leaving the province for more than 100 days. You can write this letter yourself.


•              a copy of your travel insurance, confirming that you are leaving the province for between 100 and 200 days.

Your prescription must allow for the additional 100-day travel supply. The usual fees apply.

2. Note US Border rules

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor’s prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply.  If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor.  A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S. 

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for pharmaceutical admissibility determinations. If you have any questions as to whether a specific pharmaceutical may be imported into the United States, please visit the FDA’s website, or call (301) 796-0356.

It is the patient’s responsibility to know the rules of the country they are visiting.

In addition we need to be reassured that patients understand that where medications need monitoring, we have a responsibility to ensure that arrangements have been made by the patient.

Comments are closed.