Despite being a community office we have maintained robust links with Queen’s University and are also involved in projects which cross over with academic institution in Toronto.
I am currently President of the Ontario Rheumatology Association
Models of Care
Since 1996 we have explored the models of care which provide the best care to patients when resources are limited. In 2015 we started our first course aiming to increase the overall knowledge of management of rheumatic diseases across our community and we are now planning our third for 2019
Access to Care
Rheumatic diseases are more prevalent and often more severe in Aboriginal patients. Many remote communities face unique challenges in terms of access to rheumatologists and to appropriate treatment. We are committed to developing effective models of care for Indigenous patients and meet with the NIHB program regularly to advocate for access to medications
Ultrasound is becoming an important tool in the assessment and diagnosis of rheumatic diseases.
I have completed the Canadian Rheumatology Ultrasound Society course, and now offer ultrasound assessment of disease activity and damage in patients with inflammatory joint disease. We have recently developed and successfully run a course on sonoanatomy at Queen’s University
We continue to publish in academic journals and present at National and International meetings
Series Editor: Occupational Medicine and rheumatic diseases, British Journal of Rheumatology – 1997
1. H L Averns
Career Grade Posts: Do they work?
J Roy Coll Phys Lon 1994;28:46-48
2. H L Averns, P L Boardman
Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factor in Drug-induced Agranulocytosis (letter)
Br J Rheum 1993;32: 1029-30
3. H L Averns, M Chellingsworth.
Prevention and Management of Steroid induced Osteoporosis. (Invited review paper).
Br J Hosp Med 1994; 52: 86-9
4. H L Averns, R Kerry
Role of antibiotic prophylaxis in prevention of late infection of prosthetic joint.
Br J Rheumatol 1995;34:380-2
5. H L Averns, N Cheung, P T Dawes.
Painful knees associated with septic focus.
Br J Rheumatol 1995;34:862-4
6. H L Averns Oxtoby J, Taylor HG, Jones PW, Dziedzic K, Dawes PT
The effect of smoking on outcome of ankylosing spondylitis
Scand J Rheumatol 1996;25:138-42
7. H L Averns Oxtoby J, Taylor HG, Jones PW, Dziedzic K, Dawes PT
Radiological outcome in ankylosing spondylitis, and the role of the Stoke Ankylosing Spondylitis Spine Score.
Br J Rheumatol 1996;35:373-6
8. H L Averns
COX – 2: The next step in the NSAID story
9. H L Averns, J Hall , M Webley
Role of Opticare Eye Drop Delivery System in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Journal of Rheumatology 1999;26
10. J. R. Kirwan, H. Averns et al Changes in rheumatology out-patient workload over 12 years in the South West of England
Rheumatology 2003; 42: 175-179
11. Davidson L, Averns H. Examination of the Shoulder. MedEdPORTAL; 2013.4.
12. Henry Averns, Mark Maraschiello, Elaine Van Melle, Andrew Day.
Evaluation of a web-based teaching module on examination of the hand..
J Rheumatol. 2009 Mar;36(3):623-7. Epub 2009 Feb
Posters with Published Abstracts
1. H L Averns, J Wood, T Sheeran, T Price. Role of DEXA in assessment of Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. ILAR Barcelona 1993
2. H L Averns, K Dziedzic, P T Dawes, D Mattey. IgA anticollagen antibodies in ankylosing spondylitis. BSR April 1994
3. Effect of smoking on outcome in Ankylosing Spondylitis. BSR September 1995
4. Prevalence of keratoconjunctivitis sicca in rheumatoid arthritis and role of OPTICARE eye-drop delivery system. American College of Rheumatology, November 1996
5. Pimm TJ, Byron MA, Curson D, Hill S, Hall J, Averns H. Quality of life in rheumatoid arthritis an individualised approach. Brit J Rheumatol, 1997; 36(Suppl 1):148.
6. Oliver, S., Powell, R.J. and Averns, H. (1999) The North Devon Assessment tool - a functional physical examination for use in primary and secondary care. ACR 63rd Annual Scientific Meeting, Boston.
7. A web based undergraduate portfolio. Ayres R, Averns HL. Berlin AMEE 2001 (European medical education forum). Oral presentation, with published abstract. 8. PRHO assessment tool – ASME Norwich 2001. Averns HL, Feest K 9. Audit of NSAID use in rheumatology practice .CRA 2008, Averns HL, Nicolson P 10.12 years use of a rheumatology database. CRA 2008. Averns HL 11.Clinical Audit: NSAID related gastrointestinal adverse events CRA 2009 NR Romatowski, J Ostrow MD, HL Averns 12. Draping During the Physical Examination - Learning and Teaching . CAME 2011 Christopher Lusty, Averns HL 13.The oral report – a new teaching and assessment strategy CAME 2012 Henry Averns, Cherie Jones, Sheila Pinchin, Laura McEwen, Caroline Averns, Katherine Bowes, Michael Sylvester